You will learn to:
- Diagnose your own and team members preferred leadership style.
- Use the principles of action learning in solving real-life challenges.
- Receive Feedback on your own leadership style and its strengths and areas of change.
- Analyze the readiness/development levels of group or team members.
- Practice your leadership skills in real-life team challenges outdoors.
- Improve your skills in conflict resolution and communication.
- Identify team issues and match leadership style to situation.
- Build trust in team members through meeting challenges.
- Develop/improve a plan of action based on course insights.
This course is designed for new teams, team leaders and members of intact work teams or a cross-section of team leaders. It takes leaders through the steps of team development and matches the readiness level of the team members to the development level of the challenge or the task. Those team members familiar with situational leadership concepts will recognize the importance of placing people in situations where they can grow their leadership style in a non-threatening environment. The course format is informal and based almost totally on a series of outdoor teambuilding challenges ( low ropes course, modified) It explores the traditional concepts of situational leadership and seeks to apply leadership style to the situation of teams with high performance demands. The goal is to help teams get unstuck by analyzing tasks and the readiness / development level of group members to undertake those tasks. Lecture, self-assessment, outdoor informal exercises. Fun!!!
Team leaders at all levels of the organization. Members of teams. Intact work teams. Persons interested in the latest findings on teams, or interested in the subject of increasing teamwork in the organization. Managers invited.
Mike Kane/ Ted Quant/Cathy Harris
Some handouts and the situational leadership instrument ( SLII ) from Blanchard and Associates are used.
The course will focus on real team issues and hint at possible new approaches to making the team more effective through recognizing and adapting leadership styles to the situation. The course can serve as a basic introduction to teambuilding or can work with an intact team which seeks to become more effective. Again the course is offered inside/outside depending on weather.